Tuesday, June 2, 2009

20th ALSP Annual Convention…I was there!


Blessings do come when you least expect it! Indeed it’s true. I never expected to be invited to attend the Annual Convention of Association of Law Students of the Philippines (ALSP). Being an incoming junior from a law school which produces minimal bar passers every year, it is really a blessing on my part to represent my school in such a very recognized law students organization nationwide.

At first day, I must admit I feel intimidated by the presence of students from distinguished law schools in the country such as San Beda, San Sebastian, UST, FEU, USC, XU, USJR, ADU, MSU-IIT among others. As the proceedings went on, slowly I gained back my confidence with the thought that all the delegates there, may they come from distinguished law schools or not, are still law students wanting to become lawyers someday. And I realized that even if they come from great schools, they are friendly and are ready to be a friend to anyone.

More than learning the inputs from the resource persons who are mostly young lawyers and doing very well in their fields, is the fact that I gain more friends. I guess I am 20 plus friends richer by attending the convention. Not to mention that I am awakened to the reality of a lot of new things I need to strive further to achieve my utmost aspiration of passing the Bar two years from now.

To name a few new friends which I’d like to highlight on this piece, first would be TESS. She’s from the host school Xavier University, Cagayan de Oro City. She’s the first person I get to know and she assisted me during the first day upon my arrival especially securing that my belongings are safe prior to my admission to the hotel.

Next is a new friend Jamal. He’s from University of San Carlos, Cebu City. He’s a funny guy in his own ways. He knows how to get the crowd to listen to him. I told him he’s my idol. And during the solidarity night he’s proven me right, he has antics that a person like him can only do. He’s dressed in a mini skirt dancing to the tune of Jai Ho together with the whole contingent from Cebu and some from Davao as his back-up dancers. It certainly was a great presentation number from them.

Another person who caught my attention is Mara from Ateneo de Davao University. She’s not only intelligent but she is beautiful as well. Beauty and brains combined. Moreover, she’s got talent. During the solidarity night, a glass of beer gave her the push to render a song entitled Weak by Jojo, which I would say she gave justice to the song. She might have been the Vice President for Mindanao had she chosen the stronger line-up of candidates for this year’s set of officers. She showed grace under pressure during the campaign and gracefully accepted defeat.

Next person that I consider a friend from now on is Tito from University of San Jose Recolletos, Cebu City. During the first group night out, we were seated beside each other thus we talk on a lot of things especially law studies. He’s intelligent I believe so.

Kirk from the same school as Tito is a good friend also. He’s the leader of their group and he showed sportsmanship on his defeat in the Treasurer position as the last minute candidate from the other party.

Charo of USJR also is a good friend as well. We have not talked much but every time we got the chance, definitely it was not a boring discussion.

Definitely, I’d include in my new list of friends is Kristine of University of San Carlos. She’s tall and certainly a head-turner. I thought she’s a half-filipino, half-indian for she has the resemblance of an Indian beauty particularly Latika of the famous Slumdog Millionaire. Oh, I remember Jamal who coincidentally is the name of the lead character of Slumdog Millionaire. (in that case, jamal and latika became lovers in the movie which I thought is not impossible for Kristine and Jamal to get involve with each other…or maybe there are things I didn’t know….LOL)

One beautiful young lady from Far Eastern University whom I believe will be a good friend too is Edilyn (I hope I spelled her name correctly). She sang “I must stick you’ by Pussycat Dolls during the SolNight and so every time we met at the hallway or at the stairs, I called her Edilyn Nicole Scherzinger. She’s so humble and thoughtful that upon my departure she sent a message reminding me to take care especially that I traveled at the wee hours of the night..

More new friends that for just a “hi” or “hello” certainly means long friendship. Manilyn Meir of USC, Kurn of University of Cebu, Tina or Khry from UC also, Ethel Grace (the newly elected Corporate Secretary) and some others from Notre Dame University, Cotabato City, Michelle or Mich from University of the Visayas, Dulce of Xavier University and some of her classmates especially the first emcee whom I failed to ask her name but for sure the next time we meet I’ll not only get her name but her cell # too.

The Medina College delegates, Bing, Brian, Jojo, Yam and Janice, I salute their effort, encouragement and support in inviting me to the said convention. It’s a blessing that I recently hurdled the initiation of Tandu Legis Fraternitas which some Medina delegates are my Mano (bro). And speaking of Mano, some Tandu members from Xavier University chapter had been a great support to me also, like Mano Butch and Mano Coco.

Over-all, I learned and gained a lot from the convention. I learned to bring the name of my law school, the Misamis University, in my own little way during the convention and I’m happy that slowly, MU is already one foot forward in its quest for recognition in the field of law studies. Me, being the lone delegate from Misamis University and pioneered the way for MU to be a regular member of the Association of Law Students of the Philippines, Incorporated is one great achievement that I’ll soon look back with great pride. A bonus to my attending the convention is being elected the Treasurer of the Mindanao Regional Board. If it means another task and challenge of being in law school, so be it.


One last learning that I want to emphasize, and hope people who thought that I betrayed them would understand, is my conviction to what I consider is right. During the election for the National Board, I was campaigned to vote straight. I don’t enjoy being taught what to do and who to vote. I believe in democracy and my right should be respected just as I respect theirs. One of the main reasons of my attending the convention is to support Bing whatever it takes, him being the “Supremo” of Tandu Legis Fraternitas.

I must say with sincerity that I did what I had to do. Even if he is unopposed and a sure winner, I still wrote his name on the ballot. However I must admit that I did not vote straight with his lineup. I selected few candidates from the other line-up whom I believe has the capacity to lead the ALSP in achieving greater milestone under Bing’s leadership. I voted for them because that is my right, to choose whom I thought could help the organization and not be intimidated by some people coaching on who to vote for. They forget that we are all law students who know what constitutes the right of suffrage. It is not even mandatory under the constitution. Just as in any election, if you choose to abstain, then that should be respected. Law students should start the change we all want to achieve. Let’s get away with traditional politicking. WE must realize that if we call for change, let’s start within ourselves, within our organizations, within ALSP.

As an ending, I know that my presence in the convention would not in any way help the other delegates just as their presence helped me. My presence would not in any way inspire them just the way they inspire me. However, I am sure that attending the convention not only enriches me intellectually but I am molded into becoming a stronger me, a better me because I gain friends which surely will help me in one way or the other in conquering my aspiration of becoming an Attorney not only in-fact but at-law. Insha Allah!

3 comments:

LackadaisicalMe said...

hi ric.the paragraph you devoted for me was so gracious of you.beauty and brains?indeed, most flattering.

I thank you also for the friendship ric and I hope that the same would transcend whatever we started in ALSP. I'll be graduating next year (inshaallah) but hopefully, I'd still be able to see you guys in the next natcon.

Lastly, I agree with you that we should strongly do away with traditional politicking. I was offended by one delegate during the election but I am not one to hold grudges because I believe we are entitled to our own views more so that we are entitled to run for any position we deem fit for us to take but of course, if he offended me more than I could've taken, I wouldn't have backed off.he he.isug pud baya ko.he he.

anyhow, God bless to your studies ric. I know u'll reach far because u have the determination to achieve your goals and I am equally thankful that I got to know you. We may not have shared personal stories but we still have time my dear.:)

Take care ric. Uswag Mindanao!! :)

vince said...

yup, you have beauty and brains plus talent..

see you soon mara...take care too...congrats ahead to your studies...i can smell as early as now the title Atty. attached before your name..good luck and God bless.

Neil Christian said...

Well said article mano. Keep blogging